Newsletter Signup

Contact Information

First Name* Address 1 City Email*
Last Name* Address 2
Zip Code
I currently do not have broadband
Why Not?
*Denotes required field

Blog // Connect Alaska

Alaska Broadband Expansion Takes Spotlight at Fairbanks Event

By Jeremy Thacker

The topic of new broadband expansion is taking center stage today in Fairbanks! The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Office of Native Affairs and Policy is holding the special daylong training and listening session. The goal is to answer questions about how new FCC regulations will impact Alaska’s broadband landscape. U.S. Senator Mark Begich is contributing the opening remarks for the event where FCC representatives will explain to attendees how the new Connect America Fund (CAF) works. Participants will also be briefed on new requirements for communications providers’ engagement with Tribal governments. The FCC is giving special...

Read More Share

Updated: Telcos Make Broadband Deployment Commitments to FCC

By Tom Koutsky

Updated: Read the CN Policy Brief on the Connect America Fund Phase I filings Continue reading CAF Phase I filing story, original posted July 24, 2012: Today, several of the larger telephone companies made multi-million dollar commitments to the FCC to deploy broadband in currently unserved areas of the country.  These providers will build out broadband to these areas over the next three years, in exchange for a one-time payment of $775 per location from the FCC’s new Connect America Fund. Frontier, CenturyLink, Windstream, FairPoint, Consolidated, ACS, and other providers made detailed filings before the FCC today. ...

Read More Share

Network Stumbler: A Powerful Broadband Tool

By CAK Staff

Contributor: John Determan – Senior Wireless Engineer Tools utilized by providers, industry experts and network engineers are becoming safer and more effective to use while off the beaten path.  One tool in particular, called Network Stumbler, has caught the attention of providers and engineers alike. Better tools, like the Network Stumbler, make it easier for our organization, and our partners, to bring broadband access to more schools, businesses, and communities across the country. Recently, Connected Nation's Wes Kerr had the opportunity to test NetStumbler and the tool’s ability to aid network technicians in conducting coverage...

Read More Share

What Do 61,000 Alaskan Workers Have in Common?

By CAK Staff

Contibutor: Dev Joshi, Research Analyst According to research by Connect Alaska, approximately 61,000 Alaskan adults telework, or use broadband to work from home. This represents more than one in six employed Alaskan adults. According to the 2011 Connect Alaska Residential Assessment, 17% of employed adults work  at home with an Internet connection instead of commuting to their workplace. In addition, 28% (representing about 98,000 employed adult Alaskans) say they would telework if their employer allowed it. Altogether, this means that nearly one-half (45%) of the employed population in Alaska either teleworks or is interested in...

Read More Share